The process of migrating the transferring the data from one storage system to another or the process of converting the data from one file format to another file format is known as the database migration. Instance where the system requires the upgradation or the transformation to the new or the changed version is included in the process called database migration. Let us clarify this through an example. E.g. migration of a version 7 or version 6 database to Oracle9i is the database migration.
The process to be followed in the migration of oracle database migration is discussed hereunder with comprehensive details. The steps defined hereunder can be followed in all kinds of operating systems:
- The decision to migrate This step includes the points like
- Collect the knowledge of the database before going on the process of migration. Have the in-depth knowledge about that in order to avoid any kind of error.
- Take the decision regarding the method to use in order to migrate the database. This decision to select the method depends upon various factors like migration objectives, features of the current database, target database and the result desired
- Arrange for the resources required in order to migrate the database. Estimate the quantity of resources required the way to get them
- Next comes the planning stage. The plan to convert the database has to be decided in order to test whether the desired results will be acquired after going through the whole process.
- Do not be overconfident of your planning. One should always have the back-up plan in case one in operation does not work out as desired.
- Testing during the process
The test database can be used to check the accuracy of the operations being conducted. Take care of the environment in which the actual performance has to be realized.
- Testing after the process of the migrated database
There can be the errors or defects in the results acquired as a result of the process undertaken to migrate the database. Be aware to detect the errors and the ways to rectify the same in order to get the best results.
- Preservation of the origin database
The full back up technique can help you to preserve the origin database in case of failure.
- Migration of the production database
Perform the post migration tasks in this phase.
- Adjusting the destined database as per the requirement
The decisions may have to be altered in case of the results going the other way.
There are various methods to migrate the database. The selection criteria to choose the method for migration depend upon the various factors like target database, model, characters, and genre. The methods are as follows:
- Data Pump Conventional Export/Import
- SQL Developer and SQL*Loader to Migrate Selected Objects
- RMAN Transportable Tablespace with Data Pump
- Remote Cloning a PDB or Non CDB
- RMAN Cross-Platform Transportable Tablespace Backup Sets
- RMAN CONVERT Transportable Tablespace with Data Pump
- SQL Developer and INSERT Statements to Migrate Selected Objects
- RMAN Cross-Platform Transportable PDB
- Unplugging/Plugging a PDB or Non-CDB
- Data Pump Full Transportable
Thus the oracle golden gate migration can be best performed using the aforementioned methods.